Re: forcing hshift

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: forcing hshift
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 23:23:04 +0000

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:06:33 Rune Zedeler wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>
> > {a2 a4} + {a4 a2} = {a4 a4 a4}
> >
> > This spacing has been bad for years.  I hope it's fixed now.
>
> I don't agree with you.
> You seem to think that spacing should be calculated globally on score
> level without thinking about individual voices. I.e. this would mean
> that in your opinion two shifted voices with quarter notes
>
> < { c4 c c c }  {c8 c4 c c c8} >
>
> should get same spacing as one voice with eight notes.

Not at all.
If you have a'2 a'4 and a4 a2 in the score simultaneously,
              *in 3/4 time*
the three beats should be spaced evenly.

 \score {
    \notes \transpose c'' <
        \context Staff = sa \repeat unfold 2 <
        \time 3/4
        \context Voice = va { \voiceOne a,2 a,4  }
          \context Voice = vb { \voiceOne a4 a2 }

    \paper { }
 }

It's clearer wider.  :-)

> Furter more your approach would mean that the first measure of this
> example should get same spacing as 2nd measure, which I concider very
> bad spacing.
>
> \score {
>    \notes \transpose c'' <
>        \context Staff = sa \repeat unfold 2 <
>         \context Voice = va { \voiceOne \times 2/3 { b2 b b } }
>         \context Voice = vb { \voiceOne d4 d d d }
>        >
>        \context Staff = sb { \voiceOne c1 \times 2/3 { c4. c8 c4 c4 c8
>
> c4. } }
>
>    >
>    \paper { linewidth = -1 }
> }
The important thing there is that the note on the 3rd beat
be visually spaced equidistant from the last two notes
of a measure triplet.  It is.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden