How do I conver to midi

From: Ohannes Murat Berin
Subject: How do I conver to midi
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 21:05:39 -0400

I finally got lilypond working on my RedHat 7.2. I was able to run the
sample .ly file and create .dvi and .ps files. One question I have is
how do I convert a .ly file to a midi file. I see there is an -m option,
but I am not sure if this option is supposed to play the song or create
a midi file. It does not create a file and I do not hear anything. My
sound card works because I am able to play midi and mp3 files

Ohannes