part combiner questions

From: Carter Brey
Subject: part combiner questions
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:02:33 +0200

Hello, all--

I'm about halfway through a big orchestral score (Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations, Original Version), and I've been running into a couple of mildly frustrating problems with the part combiner. I've enclosed a zip file with just the two flute parts to illustrate, although the phenomena occur in all the wind and brass parts:

1) Dynamic indications, both hairpins and dynamic texts, are duplicated in both parts even when they occur at identical times, thereby taking up unnecessary space above the staff;

2) The above phenomenon is not consistent; look at the (missing) diminuendo hairpin below the staff in variation 5, bars 239-240.

3) When there is only the first part playing, the stems are still up, taking up way too much space above the staff, and the rests for the second part are unnecessarily printed, even though soloAdue is on and the "I" is indicated next to the active part.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Carter

--