Re: part combiner questions

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: part combiner questions
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:39:14 +0200

Carter Brey <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm about halfway through a big orchestral score (Tchaikovsky's Rococo
> Variations, Original Version), and I've been running into a couple of
> mildly  frustrating problems with the part combiner. I've enclosed a
> zip file with just the two flute parts to illustrate,

Wow.  This looks impressive, esp. with all the texts.  (looking at .ly
source.)  Hmm, and exactly those texts seem to need a lot of tweaking.
It would be good if more texts were placed better by default.

> although the phenomena occur in all the wind and brass parts:
>
> 1) Dynamic indications, both hairpins and dynamic texts, are
> duplicated in both parts even when they occur at identical times,
> thereby taking up unnecessary space above the staff;

I think this has been fixed in lilypond 1.5.66, what version of
LilyPond are you using?

> 2) The above phenomenon is not consistent; look at the (missing)
> diminuendo hairpin below the staff in variation 5, bars 239-240.

And this too.

> 3) When there is only the first part playing, the stems are still up,
> taking up way too much space above the staff, and the rests for the
> second part are unnecessarily printed, even though soloAdue is on and
> the "I" is indicated next to the active part.

Yes, I see.

> What am I doing wrong?

You're doing things that I shouldn't dare to do: for one, you trust
the part combiner to work!  But seriously, the part combiner is a
relatively new and untested feature.

You your 3) is either a feature request, or a bug report.  I'll have
to investigate (ie, look at some conductor's scores) what to do about
it.  We could add an extra property, or make your wish the default (or
both).  How do you feel about parts where only the second part is
playing?

Jan.