partial measures

From: Mark M. Wilson
Subject: partial measures
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:39:48 -0400

I'm trying to write an eighth-note pickup to a full measure in 12/8
time.  I wrote:
\partial 11  e8
but this doesn't work.  The syntax reference didn't give an example, and
since I'm apparently an idiot, I can't figure out what kind of number or
what value I'm supposed to specify. What should follow the `\partial' ?
Thanks again. (still working on the other problem - might try installing
a 'pure' potato Debian on a spare partition to see if there's a problem
with the tex and ghostscript that comes with Libranet 2.0.)

--Mark