Re: font (?) help request

From: Alex Langley
Subject: Re: font (?) help request
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:28:00 -0700

I guess I still don't understanding (judging from the mktexpk
commands I see from ly2dvi --verbose) why -P tells it to use
a 600 dpi device ljfour, but -p tells it to use an 8000 dpi
device:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000
--dpi 8000
cmbx10
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font cmbx10 not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000
--dpi 8000
cmr10
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.
dvips: Font cmr10 not found, characters will be left blank.

Do I really have to generate an 8000 dpi set of fonts just to get
PDF files from dvips -Ppdf?  If so, could you kindly point me at
the exact instructions for doing that?

Alex