notes shifted down an octave

From: Stahlman Family
Subject: notes shifted down an octave
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:36:05 -0600

Hello,
    I just installed lilypond, and I have the following file:

% insert a score otherwise lilypond-book gets confused.
\score {
  \notes {
  \time 3/4
  \clef treble
  c4 d e
  }
  \paper { }
}

It compiles to a postscript file, but when I view it, the 3 notes are shifted
down an octave from middle C! The examples online show just a plain c as
corresponding to middle C on the treble clef. My file doesn't do anything to
change the pitch from the default (which I'm assuming is middle C). What's
going on here?

Thanks,
    Brett S.