Re: notes shifted down an octave

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: notes shifted down an octave
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 21:04:45 -0800

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 22:36:05 -0600
Stahlman Family <address@hidden> wrote:
>   c4 d e
>
> It compiles to a postscript file, but when I view it, the 3 notes are
> shifted down an octave from middle C! The examples online show just a
> plain c as

*wince*  (I recently edited the tutorials, hoping to make things more
clear)

I was wondering if this would happen... please see the examples in
http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/More-basics.html

Middle C is actually c'.  Yes, the first page of the tutorial is
misleading.

For the devel folks:
It something I wondered about for the tutorial... should we do the basic
stuff in bass clef (so that \notes{c d e f g a b} don't have a ton of
ledger lines), or should we use octave-shift at the very beginning (ie
\notes{c' d' e' f' g' a' b'} )?

As a cellist, I find bass clef much easier to understand than treble,
but I assume that most people learn treble first.  Perhaps we should
introduce octave-shifting in the first tutorial, and not have hidden
\transpose c'' { ... } statements to produce the output?

As an aside, I'm unable to submit any significant patches until Dec
(after final exams), but I'm certainly willing to make these changes at
that time, unless somebody objects to the octave-shifts.

Cheers,
- Graham