Fis or not fis, that is the question.

From: Ralph Little
Subject: Fis or not fis, that is the question.
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:55:40 -0000

Somebody wrote:

> > > i don't agree. it is really not an f sharp, it is a natural f in the
> > > key of G, so nothing has to be added to it. if you are singing a piece
> > > and you aren't told which key it is in (unless you have an absolute
> > > ear) you will sing "sharp" notes completely automatically, like
> > > natural ones. :o)

Hi,
Well, for all my faults, I have to admit that when I started out entering
text into Lily, I found expected to only type "f" when in G Major since I
had already specified my preferences in the Key Signature, using fs & ff to
make a change from the norm.
The current regime does not (as far as my understanding goes!) aid
transposition (if you are changing the base key rather than using
\transpose).

Given that, I can well understand the fellows puzzlement.

Can anybody explain why, despite having a "fs" specified by the current key
(for G Major), "fs" or "fis" needs to be specified, rather than just
assuming that the key fills in the gaps?

Regards
Ralph

<please don't flame me, I'm only little>

Our communications with you matter to us. This e-mail and any attachments
are confidential and are sent on the basis of our copyright, e-mail and
security policy which can be inspected at our website at
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk/html/contact.html#6. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and delete this message.  Thank you.