Re: caesura

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: caesura
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:05:35 +0100

If you search for "Breathing sign" at
http://lilypond.org/stable/input/regression/out-www/regression.html
you will find an example file showing how to change the symbol used.
At the end of the users manual, you can find a list of all the symbols
in the music font (look in the PS or PDF versions on-line. Unfortunately, there's a bug in the files for the stable version, so
click first on lilypond.org/development). I'm not sure if you can find
any appropriate symbol there at the moment. It's also possible to use
other LaTeX fonts by setting some more properties of the BreathingSign
graphical object.

   /Mats

Paul Scott wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Do you mean something like
http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Breath-marks.html

All I see there is a breath mark. A caesura is two parallel diagonal lines (similar to repeat slashes but placed higher) indicating a short noticeable pause in the music. It is sometimes called a cutoff or "railroad tracks." A breath mark only indicates a break in the sound not necesarily in the time.

It is ID113 in unicode visible here: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf

(the glossary should probably be extended to include "ceasura" as well).

Only if it tells how to get the correct symbol.

Thanks,

Paul

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing