Re: frustrated building on Red Hat 7.3

From: larry
Subject: Re: frustrated building on Red Hat 7.3
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:07:46 -0800

Graham Percival wrote:

> Hmm.  Unfortunately Mutopia is down right now, so I can't check, but
> what version is that lilypond source?
> Near the top of the/a file(s), there should be a line something like
> this:
> \version "1.2.14"

Fur Elise is old enough it doesn't even _have_ a version ID :-(
I did, eventually, make it run on 1.2.17, so that's a clue.
That doesn't address my concern that I couldn't get lilypond-X
to build the examples in lilypond-X/input/ .

> If the version number is a significantly lower (or higher) number
> that your version of lilypond (ie if it _is_ for version 1.2.x and
> you're using 1.4.15 or 1.6.7), then you'll need to run convert-ly
> on the file to convert it to the higher number lilypond format.
> # convert-ly foo.ly > foonew.ly

I didn't know about that tool, I'm sure that will come in handy.

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> It's really hard to give any advice without more information.
> Please send us the output of ly2dvi -V whateverfile.ly
> which will give some more printouts on what might have gone wrong.

OK, I'll try tonight.  I'll have to disturb my now-working-adequately
lilypond-1.2.17.

> Are you sure that you didn't have any remaning warnings at
> the end of the printouts from configure?

> When you built the program, did you have to install anything
> extra efter you first issued configure?

No.

> In that case, did you remember to remove the file config.cache
> before rerunning configure?

I'm quite familiar with config.cache.

> Are you sure that you didn't have any remaning warnings at
> the end of the printouts from configure?

After I set up guile-1.4 (RH7.3 ships with guile-1.3.4)
lilypond-1.6.7 configure ends with:

) WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  pktrace mftrace
)
) See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond
) Remove config.cache before rerunning ./configure
)
) Type:
)     make all       to build LilyPond
)     make install   to install LilyPond
)     make help      to see all possible targets
)
) Do not worry if ./Documentation or ./mutopia should not build.

I have never even heard of pktrace or mftrace.  Do y'all have
a recommended URL and/or version?

     - Larry