Multi-voice grace note work-around? Also abc2ly questions

From: Joyce Wilson
Subject: Multi-voice grace note work-around? Also abc2ly questions
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:37:12 -0600

I saw in the archives that there is some way to work around the problem with the extra barline being created after a grace note in multi-part music, but I need a bit more explanation to be able to do it successfully, since my attempts so far have just made the grace note disappear. An example would be most welcome.

On the abc2ly topic, I have a couple of questions. I'm finding that when I run abc through abc2ly, I don't just have to go through and add in whatever extra notation I'm using Lilypond for (measure numbers, breath marks, note accents, text markup like 'D.C. al Fine', and cautionary accidentals like '(#)' -- if it's possible to do this stuff in abc, please tell me and I'll quit bothering the list! :> ). I also have to make a lot of fixes of things which worked fine in abc. A multipart piece with a time signature change in the middle proved especially problematic (In lilypond, the top line started in 4/4 and switched to 2/4, but the other three lines started out in 2/4, even after I edited the abc to explicitly specify the starting time sig for each part as 4/4)-- I ended up having to convert each part individually, and then reassemble the resulting snippets of lily code. I guess my general question is: are there any tips for writing especially abc2ly-friendly abc?

What determines where the line-breaks are in the output from abc2ly? They seem to be rather random, which makes it difficult for me to find my way around to do editing. My current (laborious) approach is to go through the converted lilypond code and insert line breaks before each "\bar" and then tidy it up so that exactly one measure is on each line. Then I can at least navigate by counting measures. Is there some way to get abc2ly to do this for me?

Graham, thanks for directing me to the lilypond templates-- that did indeed allow me to get StaffGroup working the way I wanted.

Pip-pip,
Joyce