Re: chords as roman numerals?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: chords as roman numerals?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:44:12 +0200

The reason for the misalignment is that Lilypond tries to calculate
the width of each syllable but fails when it encounters the extra
TeX code. You might get better alignment if you say $V_7$ but then
you get the 'V' in italics. You could also try to play with the
alignment property, see the example file input/regression/lyric-align.ly
at http://lilypond.org/stable/input/regression/out-www/regression.html
Note that the naming of the LyricsVoice and music Voice contexts
have to match, see http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond-internals/Lyric_phrasing_engraver.html

  /Mats

Michael Vanier wrote:
Your second suggestion (putting the text into lyrics mode) works quite
well.  The only problem is that the text is not aligned correctly for
chords with subscripts and superscripts.  With a "I" chord the "I" lines up
with the note, but with a "V_7" chord the "7" lines up with the note.
Oddly enough "IV" chords work fine; the note lines up to the point between
the "I" and the "V".  Similarly, "V7" lines up correctly.  Is this a bug?
Is there a way to control this?

Mike

Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 11:36:16 +0200
From: Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>

If you only wanted numbers and accidentals, you could have used the
support for figured bass (see the reference manual). However, for
your needs, I would recommend to typeset them using ordinary text markup, which also is well described in the manual. The disadvantage
is that the different chord indications will not be aligned vertically.
If you want them vertically aligned, you could typeset as a lyrics line.
But then you would have to say something like V$_7$ to get the subscripts,

   /Mats

Michael Vanier wrote:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been scouring the Lilypond
documentation and the mailing lists and I can't find an answer to this
question.  How do I print chords as roman numerals e.g. I, V_7, I_6_4
(where the _ means "subscript")?  I want to do this in a piano score, with
the chords appearing below the staves.  I'm willing to enter the chord
numerals explicitly; I don't expect lilypond to deduce them for me ;-)

TIA,

Mike

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing