Re: Polyphony?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Polyphony?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:52:15 -0400

On Monday 19 May 2003 10:54 pm, Jonathan Rosanowski wrote:
> I'm using lilypond for cygwin 1.6.0.
> I'm trying to write some guitar music. Sometimes the bass notes may
> ring on while notes above play. I'm guessing that I need to write
> this using polyphony. Is that correct? If so, then how do you enter a
> quarter note bass with two eight notes above it. I tried this < c8 e
> a \\ {a,4}> < c8 e a > but it pushes the second chord out to the next
> quarter note position. Here's the whole line
> r4 < f8 ees' c' > < e d' b' > r4 < c8 e a \\ {a,4}> < c8 e a > ~

This method is for writing one voice on a staff where occasionally you
break it into two.  You need three voices to typeset simple guitar
music in two parts.

If the piece is long or complex, take a look at sly on my website.
DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.
The wars are not over.  Just the winning part is over.