Re: Stanza Numbers

From: Peter Dixon
Subject: Re: Stanza Numbers
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:09:17 +0100 (BST)

Jan,

I had the same trouble.  My piece has male and female vocals.  I wanted to
align a stanza "number" with the female part but it started with a rest.
I have inserted the fix I used into your script below.  Please see if it
works for you.  It would be nice to have this working properly - my "fix"
makes a funny sound at the start of the midi file :(

Regards
Peter Dixon

> I have some trouble with the stanza numbers:
> If the beginning line of the melody has a partial as first bar, there are
> displayed stanza numers, but if I don't wan't to use \partial (or just cannot
> if I have "before-play" (sorry, I don't know the right word) ) there are no
> stanza numbers displayed. I send two pieces for you to see what I mean.
> What am I doing wrong and how do I get this numbers even when there is a rest
> at first?
> I even tried \property LyricsVoice.stz = "1." but there are the first numbers
> displayed in the second line and I want them to beprinted in the first.
> I use Lilypond-1.6.9
>
> Regards Jan Kohnert

snip "with.ly"

> % Generated automatically by: lilypond-book.py
> % options are
> filename=/var/www/lilypond/src/lilypond-1.6.10/input/template/melody-lyrics-chords.ly
>  printfilename
> \include "paper16.ly"
> \paper  {
>   linewidth = 433.619940\pt
>

> }
> \version "1.5.68"
>
> \header {
>   texidoc = "popsong format: chords, melody and lyrics."
> }
>
> melody = \notes \relative c' {
> \time 4/4
>   \key f \major
>   \clef treble

% a fix to display stanza name
    < \once \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'transparent = ##t
    < \once \property Voice.Stem \set #'transparent = ##t
      f4 r4

% end of fix
>    f4 f2 | r4 f4 f2 | r4 a4 a2 |
>    r4 g4 a2 | r4 bes4 bes2 | r4 bes4 bes2 | r4 d4 d2 | r4 c4 d2 | ~ d1 |
> }
>
> stropha = \lyrics {
% fix needs a silent syllable
     _
% end fix
>     Your cruel de- vice your blood, like ice
>     One look, could kill My pain, your thrill...
>  }
>  strophb = \lyrics {
% fix needs a silent syllable
     _