Re: How to double in octaves

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: How to double in octaves
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 23:04:22 -0700

On Sun, 25 May 2003 22:45:08 -0400
Daniel Ashton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > In this case, you want the two parts to appear in seperate voices --
> > ie the stems should not be joined.  Refer to the manual on
> > "polyphony" to see how this works.  (short answer: < {part1} \\
> > {part2 >  )
>
> Well, um, I'm not sure.  Here is a scan showing where I got my "bad"
> ideas.  http://daniel.ashtonfam.org/Dix-Bass.gif

Hmm.

> Knowing something of the intention of this music, the editing looks
> right to me, i.e. stems joined, slurs on both noteheads.  As a tubaist
> playing either line, I shouldn't have to watch for slurs on the other
> noteheads.

Ok.  I think it's a bit better to use seperate voices for this, but I
can't fault you for wanting to represent the sheet music as accurately
as possible. I don't know if you can get ties to behave that way.  You
could fake it by using slurs, though.  The midi would sound wierd, but
it should look ok.

Cheers,
- Graham