Re: constructive criticism

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:37:18 +0100

Ferenc Wagner writes:

> Bugreports are not the best way to improve documentation,

For the developers, they are.

> It is more work (and more effort) than typing the
> same text straight into the documentation you are reading.

That may be a bit less work for the reporter, but it is much more work
for development.

>>> Would you consider a "manual with comments" (like php and
>>> mysql have) on the web, or even a wiki manual?

FYI: We started and filled a wikiwiki some three odd years ago, when
wikiwikis were the next hot thing.  We decided to take it off line
last year, because the experiment failed.  It is yet another potential
source of information to track, it grows stale and it had hardly any
contributors besides the developers.  Although there are exceptions,
lowering the threshold only yields less useful information.

I applaud a good initiative to help users or help Lily get better, if
someone thinks she should setup a wiki and relay useful information to
one of the mailing lists, that would be great.  But we probably won't
retry any automating of the manual or website any time soon.

> I for one do not speak Texinfo.

Sorry, but that's hardly an excuse IMHO.  Have you seen the lilypond
manual?  The body of your email is a valid piece of texinfo ;-)

Jan.