Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for sugges

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestions")
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:39:19 -0500

Hello, all --

Han-Wan wrote:

(stretching the analogy).  I think it is better to just have a simple
portable bookcase as a demonstration.

Actually, as you probably know, reverse engineering is not easy (for most people) -- it's the PLANS that are the most helpful, based on most people's learning patterns.

The problem is in the number of examples. We already have about 400
small examples, and I think they're already hard to navigate. If you want to show all the combinations, the number of files goes through the roof.

Only if you do a strict permutation/combination; that obviously doesn't make sense. What makes sense to me (and, perhaps, no one else?) is a dozen or more "standard" examples -- like the Satie and Schumann pieces, but widely ranging in "purposes", and intentionally developed as teaching/learning aids -- used as step-by-step guides.

Jan wrote:

There are more problems with "intermediate examples": they cannot be
used for simple documentation or 'regression testing', where one
feature is tested, explained and indexed, they need to be actively
maintained, and by cramming too much complexity in example files it's
easy to scare new users away.

Agreed, 100%: we need the simple documentation (as is) and the regression testing models (as is). IMO, what we *don't* have are a lot of well-documented examples of larger (not necessarily complete, but well fleshed out) "projects".

Nick Busigin wrote:

Having a collection of well documented/commented complete examples
(bookcases) is a very good idea.  Fortunately such a collection exists:
the mutopia project:

I agree that this is a good place to start. However, unlike Nick, I have not found the Mutopia examples to be "liberally documented", and certainly not in an "instructional" style (but rather in an "informative" style -- a very different thing).

I am planning to turn as many of my own engravings as possible into true instructional models, and, if time permits, take some well-chosen Mutopia examples and do the same. Now that I'm a Lilypond "apprentice" (i.e., one step up from a newbie) -- on the road to "journeyman", "craftsman", and eventually "master" -- I am going to make sure there are more examples to help those after me than I myself have found at this stage.

Onward and upward!
Kieren.