Re: More lyrics questions/comments

From: Carl Youngblood
Subject: Re: More lyrics questions/comments
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:16:01 -0700

On Jan 10, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Nick Busigin wrote:

There are situations in my lyrics when I want to put something like
an extender, but not really.  I just want to put a line after a word
to show that I want it held for the full value of the note.  Sort of
a gentle reminder.  However, extensions, don't allow me to do this.
Is there a built-in way to do this?

What I'm doing here is just appending dots or underscores to the word if
I want to do that.  Then again, I'm at the beginner level of knowledge
with lilypond.  I'll be interested to see if anyone knows of an
automatic way of doing that.

When I add underscores to the ends of words it completely ignores them. I don't want to change the time value of a lyric syllable, I just want to make an extender after it for those notes that are extra long. But I want to have control over how long the extender lasts. This is an important feature that needs to be added, in my opinion. For example, right now, I can see no way of adding an extender to a note that has a rest after it. Some may argue that this is not what extenders are for in the first place, but if not, then we need some other mechanism for indicating that the note should be held for its full value. I often see extenders being used in this way in professional sheet music.

Carl