Re: transposing instruments

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: transposing instruments
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:51:52 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> Almost every score I've ever seen prints the notes in the instrument's
> key.  That is, the flute part (in C) might be in the key of G, but the
> clarinet part (in B-flat) would be in the key of A.  The one score I've
> seen where all parts were written in C was next to useless for us--but
> that was partially because we'd lost all the parts and so had to play
> from the score :)  (I finally got so tired of that and so excited about
> Lilypond that I retypeset the thing...)

The solution depends on the application. For a conductor (although,
IANAC), it is much easier to have a C score, especially if the piece
contains funky screech-boink type chords. However, older music
traditionally is written scores with transposing instruments. That's
also preferred when the score is used for playing.