Re: transposing instruments

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: transposing instruments
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:24:43 -0500

Hello, Fodor:

I have a practical question about transposing instruments,
perhaps you have some experience.

Here's my opinion, from the perspective of:

1. Copyist -- enter the "concert" (i.e., sounding) pitch, to make it easier to enter and reuse material 2. Conductor -- where possible, give the conductor the choice of having a "c-score" or a "transposed" score; where no request is given or available, supply a c-score and notate the choice clearly on the score 3. Performer -- obviously, the part should be in the "played" pitch (i.e., using \transpose)

(My first guess is that the latter is better, because this way I can easily put that to other [...] instruments, I just have to remove the transpose)

Correct!

Hope this helps,
Kieren.