it's working OK now with Windows XP !!! Re: help requested!

From: Janusz Szafruga
Subject: it's working OK now with Windows XP !!! Re: help requested!
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:23:01 -0800

Mats,

THANK YOU for responding. In fact in the meantime I made
it work already by actually re-loading and following
instructions (duh) so I thought I would share the knowledge
based on my apparent mistake.

I failed the first time to make a proper download because
I was misled(?) by the following statement: "If you are not
100% exactly sure of what you're doing, then just click
"Next""  which appears in the installations/instructions
http://lilypond.org/web/download/windows.html

This statement made me to click 'next' without looking for
and selecting the lilypond package. I guess I assumed that
the 'default' words seen in the long list of packages,
mean 'whatever necessary components they are, they will be
downloaded as "default" action'. I guess all complaints
about lilypond not working on Windows XP, are caused by
this fact that people actually skip this step, i.e. the step
of clicking '+' in front of Publishing--Default, and then
clicking 'Skip' in front of lilypond package name (which
marks for download this and several other associated
components in the list).
Once this is done, it takes hours to download but the current
version seems to be working fine with Windows XP.

So, yes, it DOES work now: typing in the cygwin window
"lilypond -v" returns "lilypond (GNU LilyPond)
2.2.2".
And double-clicking a file name such as test.ly does
produce a set of output files (pdf, dvi, ps, log).
The pdf looks great in Acrobat Reader and is printable
on my HP672C printer. Btw, that test.ly file can be
located on the desktop, or somwhere in a folder on
the harddrive: it works either way -- the output files
are placed next to where the test.ly is located.

Once again, thanks for readiness to help.
-Janusz