LilyPond 2.2.2 with Cygwin: Error messages

From: Warren Stickney
Subject: LilyPond 2.2.2 with Cygwin: Error messages
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:51:46 +1200

Hello listers,

I have 3 people here wishing to install and use Lily, but have a problem in
which version to give them.  My Version 2.2.2 (thank you for the update from
2.2.0 Bert) still gives me the following error message:

"Python 2 This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut
down."

A check of the details giving "Invalid page fault in module
CYGWINCONV-2.DLL"

I know that by cancelling the error message each time Lily gives a good
output, but this condition occurs 8 times during each execution of Lily and
results in frustratingly slow compiling time, and of course doesn't inspire
confidence in potential new users.  And, yes, I know that this is really a
Python/Cygwin problem not a LilyPond one, but nothing has yet changed.

While I can give these people a copy of my older Lily 2.0.1 setup (which I
still use since it runs properly and quickly), it would be much better if
new users didn't have to waste time learning the old syntax.

Presumably a number of you are using 2.2.x with Cygwin (I have Win98).  Can
you please say if you have overcome the Python problem by some means, and
describe the steps required.  For example are you running Lily 2.2.x but
with some or all the other files being unchanged from those you used with
Lily 2.0.x.

Help, someone, please.

And I have for the first time since I started using LilyPond (1.6.8) got
Lily/Latex to print a circle around the "c" for copyright, thank you AB for
the secret. Downloading the massive Textex-base did the trick. This doesn't
come down as part of the standard LilyPond package.

Warren
Wellington,
New Zealand