Re: ly file definitions and layout

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: ly file definitions and layout
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:40:34 +0200

The score{...} block should always begin with the music.
After the music, you can optionally add \paper{...}, \midi{...}
or \header{...} blocks in any order. So, these examples will work,
for example:

\score{
  \notes{...}
  \midi{...}
  \paper{...}
  \header{...}
}

\score{
  \notes{...}
  \header{...}
}

\score{
  \notes{...}
  \header{...}
  \paper{...}
}

However, you can also add \paper{...}, \midi{...} or \header{...}
blocks at the toplevel of the file, outside \score{...}.
In that case, they will apply to all the following \score{...}
contexts.

   /Mats

Jim Sabatke wrote:
Is there a document that describes the layout of an ly file? I've looked for a couple days and haven't found one.

I ask this because I can't seem to integrate \score into my files and get expected output. I've followed example files that I've found via grep, and none of the layouts seem to work.

I was using this format:

\header { ... }
\paper { ... }
\notes {  ...
           { lots of notes }
}

and that worked almost well enough, except that page numbering and taglines didn't work.

Then I tried every variation of using \score that I could think of, or find by example. The closest I could get was:

\header { ... }

\score {
   \notes {
            { notes }
   }

    \paper {

This ignored all header into, but did split the piece into two pages, which didn't happen by the previous method.

I'm completely lost.  Is there a reference for this?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology