Re: Narrow Word Lyric

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Narrow Word Lyric
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:35:46 +0200

On Friday 18 June 2004 20.41, Joshua Koo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possilbe for a 2-syllable word in the lyrics to be shown as a single
> word if the notes are closed enought. That is a word seperated with -- eg.
> Hel -- lo, be shown below the notes as "Hello" instead of Hel-lo if notes
> are determinded closed enought.

You can do this manually, by using melismata or similar:

<<
\context Voice=A \notes { c8\melisma c\melismaEnd }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto A \lyrics { Hello }

would replace

<<
\context Voice=A \notes { c8 c }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto A \lyrics { Hel -- lo }

I beleive that the following has the same effect & might be more handy:

<<
\context Voice=A \notes { c8 c }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto A \lyrics { Hello \skip 4 }

Erik