Re: problems with lilypond book after upgrading to 2.2.2

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: problems with lilypond book after upgrading to 2.2.2
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:30:44 +0200

Ben Crowell writes:

> I recently upgraded to lilypond 2.2.2 from 2.0, and am having lots and lots
> of problems with recompiling a book I wrote using lilypond-book
> (http://www.lightandmatter.com/sight/sight.html). I'd appreciate
> any help from people on the list with getting it working again.

You can take two paths: use old-lilypond-book to get work done, or

>   1. The first line now gives an error because of the
>   default-music-fontsize option; has some equivalent mechanism been
>   substituted for this?

No, this option was dropped with the new implementation.  Do you have
a good reason not to specify it with the snippets, ie:

   \begin[staffsize=XX\pt]{lilypond}

>   2. The first line used to read sight.tex as input and write
>   sight.latex as output. Now lilypond-book dies, saying that this
>   would result in overwriting its own input file, and that I should
>   use the --output option. I've done that, but I'm not clear on why
>   the output file would now be sight.tex rather than
>   sight.latex...is there something I'm not understanding here?

The idea was that .TEX is the standard extension for LaTeX documents;
it makes more sense to give the hybrid document a different extension:
.LYTEX or whatever.

>  3. I used to use this
>    \property Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 999)

What happens when you run convert-ly.  Maybe you found a convert-ly bug?

>   5. My book has about 300 short pieces of music in it, of which an example
> is this:
>     \begin[filename=temp-x_rh_twinkle.tex,linewidth=170mm,20pt]{lilypond}
>   This now generates the following warnings:
>     lilypond-book: warning: deprecated ly-option used: 20pt
>     lilypond-book: warning: compatibility mode translation: staffsize=20

The warnings are mostly harmeles.  When you use \mm, \pt as in the .ly
itself, the warnings go away.

>   6. Thinking to eliminate some errors from lilypond itself (as opposed to
> lilypond-book), I
>   tried using convert-ly, like this:
>     lilypond-book --filter='convert-ly --from=2.0.0' --include=melodies
> --output=out sight.tex

You must tell convert-ly that it should act like a (pseudo-) filter

    --filter='convert-ly --from=2.0.0 -'

In case you wonder, this is a feature: newbie users (even on GNU/Linux
nowadays) get confused if they type a command and it will `hang'
waiting for stdin to close :-)

>   7. After doing my best to work around these problems (e.g., by eliminating
> the barNumberVisibility
>   stuff temporarily), I get this output:
>     [warnings about compatibility and deprecation]
>     Processing...Running lilypond-bin...
>   At this point, it seems to hang up. A Unix 'ps' command shows this:
>     93317  p1  IL+    0:00.00 /bin/sh -ec lilypond-book --include=melodies
> --output=out sight.tex
>     93318  p1  IL+    0:10.73 /usr/local/bin/python
> /usr/local/bin/lilypond-book --include=melodies --output=out sight.tex
>   But both of these seem to have become zombie processes.

Try running with --verbose, or issue `ps faux' to see what the latest
command is.  Zombies are something really different.

> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

What was the actual command you issued?

Good luck.
Jan.