Re: midi output osx

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: midi output osx
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:11:27 -0700

On 27-Jun-04, at 7:05 AM, Sean Reed wrote:
i found this issue discussed in the archive list from may 5 to 8 2004, with the suggested workaround of using the program "mighty midi", but all of the links to "mighty midi" and its author have apparently since then become obsolete and the program has simply disappeared without a trace from the internet.

You can also use timidity (a unix MIDI -> wav program), although you need to play
with it a little bit to get it set up.

any further hints on other workarounds? or perhaps any other free/open midi players with adjustable tempo for mac os x that somebody can recommend? or does perhaps somebody have a copy of the "mighty midi" program that they can mail me? (all the links suggest it's only around 170k).

I've got this program; uncompressed, it's 356k. Want me to mail it to you?

also, is this a mac specific problem? is there a fix in the works?

IIRC, there was some discussion about whether tempo changes belonged in track 0, or whether they should be placed in all tracks. I'm not certain which way Lilypond does it, nor which way is the recommended way. I got the impression that it wasn't specifically an OSX problem; it was just that almost all midi programs for OSX didn't
pick up the tempo changes.

Cheers,
- Graham