Re: Problem with Staff Grouping

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Problem with Staff Grouping
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 19:48:53 +0200

> I'm transcribing a piece that has multiple parts and in those multiple
> parts, I have multiple staves.
>
> After compiling, the staff layout becomes:
> part1:staff1
> part2:staff1
> part1:staff2
> part2:staff2
>
> Obviously for the score, I'd like:
> part1:staff1
> part1:staff2
> part2:staff1
> part2:staff2
>
> I'm sure I just have something not correct.
>
> violinOne = \relative c' {
>     << { b2 b } \new Staff { g g } >> }
> ---
> violinTwo = \relative c' {
>     << { e2 e } \new Staff { e e } >> }
> ---
> \include "violin1.ly"
> \include "violin2.ly"
> \score
> { << \new StaffGroup = "StaffGroup_strings"
> << \new GrandStaff = "violins"
> <<
> \new Staff = "violini" { \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violin I."
> \violinOne }
> \new Staff = "violinii" { \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violin II."
> \violinTwo } >> >> >> }
> ---
> \include "violin1.ly"
> \score
> {
> << \new GrandStaff = "violins"
> << \new Staff = "violini" { \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violin I."
> \violinOne }
>>> >>
> }
> ---
> \include "violin2.ly"
> \score
> {
> << \new GrandStaff = "violins"
> << \new Staff = "violinii" { \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violin II."
> \violinTwo } >> >>
> }

Hi Dave,

a compilable example would have been usefull.
This means: copy, paste, compile, look
Instead I had to go through your code and delete all stuff avoiding compilation.

Furthermore, I'd recommend to reduce parantheses and brackets. Enter
only what you need!
Proper indentation will increase readability, too.
Always specify the LilyPond version used.

That said, I'm not sure how you want it.

Maybe:

violinOne = \relative c' {
  \new GrandStaff \with { instrumentName = "Violin I." }
    <<
    \new Staff { b2 b }
    \new Staff { g g }

}

violinTwo = \relative c' {
\new GrandStaff = "violins" \with { instrumentName = "Violin II." }
    <<
    \new Staff { e2 e }
    \new Staff { e e }

}

\score { \violinOne }

\score { \violinTwo }

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Flute" }
      \relative c'' { e1 }
    \new StaffGroup = "StaffGroup_strings"
      <<
        \new GrandStaff = "violins"
        <<
        \violinOne
        \violinTwo

      \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Viole" }
        \relative c' { \clef alto g1 }
      \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Cello" }
        \relative c { \clef bass e1 }

}

HTH,
  Harm