Re: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:56:29 -0700

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 27.04.2014 20:15, schrieb Steven Arntson:
>> I may be getting in over my head with this question. I'm a new user
>> of Lilypond,
>> transitioning away from Musescore. I've
>> been using Frescobaldi a bit, and am impressed with it so far.
>>
>> However, I see there's an Emacs mode available through org-babel called
>> "Arrange Mode". I'm a user of Emacs (though far from an expert!), and I
>> love the environment.
>>
>> Does anyone have familiarity with both, who could highlight a few of
>> the
>> differences? Frescobaldi has many features I doubt I'll use much (such
>> as the Quick Insert menu). Mainly what I like about it is the
>> integration of the windows--text entry, music display, lilypond
>> messages, and MIDI playback. I wonder if that could be done with a
>> dedicated Emacs instance.
>
> I don't know the Emacs mode so I won't make a recommendation (which
> would be very much biased as I'm a heavy Frescobaldi user).
>
> But what I think could be an interesting aspect for you is: If you're
> already an Emacs user you might be able to integrate LilyPond work
> well with your existing toolchains with that.

That's definitely a consideration for me. Emacs has a mode called
org-mode that provides some conveniences for manipulating
large text files, maintaining "to do" notes, &c. I'm a writer by trade, and I
use it to organize the
text of novels. I may repost this in an Emacs forum, too, to see if
anyone's using Lilypond there.

>> I think I'm right that one can transpose scores in Frescobaldi? And
>> maybe not in Arrange Mode. That could be a deciding factor.
>
> I'm not completely sure what your use case is here. But in general you
> wouldn't use your editor to transpose a score as a whole (i.e. change
> all the pitches in the input file). If you want to do that you'd
> usually let LilyPond do the work for you.

I'm new enough to this that I don't even know what functions are
supplied by Lilypond and what by Frescobaldi! But this sounds like
perhaps I could have Lilypond transpose something regardless of what
frontend I'm using.

Most of my use at present involves adapting some songs for an instrument
that is not completely chromatic--so I'm entering the pitches as
written, and then sort of nudging it up and down until I find a key that
is playable.

Thank you!
steven