Re: Determine event at the same time in other voice

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Determine event at the same time in other voice
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 13:12:52 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> how could I determine if at any given point in time there is another
> event in another voice or not. Concretely: If I have a certain rest,
> can I know if another rest of the same length is in another voice?

Put an engraver in the enclosing Staff context which listens to rest
events.  That does not help with actually reducing the number of rests:
for that you need to have an acknowledger for those rest grobs and
possibly kill one of the grobs manually.

> I would like to explore the idea of having a command like
>
> \mergeSimultaneousRests
>
> which would take care of setting \voiceOne in one voice and \once\omit
> in the other voice(s) to make that typical kind of notation more
> straightforward to use. I find it slightly embarassing that we have to
> do that manually for each instance.

I'm skeptical that this will be easy to get working smoothly.

--
David Kastrup