Re: BreathingSigns and automatic beams

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: BreathingSigns and automatic beams
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:38:29 -0700

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:06 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> I fully understand what you say, and similar symbols are used for
> singers, too, however, I think this somehow contradicts what lilypond
> is intended to do: engraving well-formatted music.  It's not
> lilypond's job to imitate hand-written marks!  In other words, I want
> to see some *printed* editions with such entries so that we can adjust
> lilypond accordingly, if necessary.

*
http://imslp.org/wiki/200_%C3%89tudes_nouvelles_m%C3%A9lodiques_et_progressives_pour_cor_(Alphonse,_Maxime)
- Book 4 #3 has some examples of breaths over bar lines (though it
isn't very consistent).

* http://imslp.org/wiki/Adagio_for_Horn_and_Piano,_Op.31_(Draeseke,_Felix)
- The solo part has breath marks. None right over the bar line.
(http://imslp.org/wiki/Romanze_for_Horn_and_Piano,_Op.32_(Draeseke,_Felix)
is similar)

* http://imslp.org/wiki/Nocturno,_Op.7_(Strauss,_Franz) - The breath
marks are quite small in this one.

* http://imslp.org/wiki/60_Etudes_for_Low-Horn,_Op.6_(Kopprasch,_Georg)
- In the Gumbert edition he uses two different marks to indicate short
quick breaths and bigger breaths. Many of these marks are directly
over a bar line (see #13).

-----Jay