Re: Re[2]: Fw: Re[2]: coloring voices vs systemStartDelimiterHierarchy

From: Klaus Blum
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Fw: Re[2]: coloring voices vs systemStartDelimiterHierarchy
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:29:54 -0700 (MST)

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Schuch wrote
> 2. Clefs
> If i want to color some music at the beginning of a system, the Clef at
> the SystemStart gets colored, too.

If this behaviour is intended, you are absolutely right in changing
Staff.Clef #'color (or did I miss something?).
If you want ONLY the clef changes to be colored, you could just try
something like:
         \once \override Staff.Clef.color = #blue  \clef tenor

Thomas Schuch wrote
> Is there any way "\colorMusic #red {c <<{c} \\ {c}>> c}" works for the
> entire area?

The construction with the double backslash creates two new voices - one
above and one below. So you are dealing with three voices, each of them
needing \colA:

% -----------------------------------
\new Staff
    \relative c'' \repeat unfold 5{
      \colA
      {a b c d
        <<
          \colA
          {a c b}
          \\
          \colA
          {a b c}

        a b c
% -----------------------------------

If you add the lower voice for the polyphonic section "manually", the upper
voice simply continues.
But I don't think this makes things much easier:

% -----------------------------------
\new Staff \relative c'' \repeat unfold 5{
      \colA { % only once because this voice is continuous
        a b c d
        <<
          {\voiceOne a c b}
          \new Voice
          \colA % \colA must also be applied to the NEW voice
          {\voiceTwo a b c}

        \oneVoice a b c
A side effect: As the upper voice is now continuous, the beams are no more
interrupted, which leads to some strange results. However, in a real-world
example (without repeating 5 times on different timing positions) you could
easily affect the stem direction with \voiceOne or \voiceTwo.

Hope this helps a bit,
Klaus