Re: volta repeat with and without alternative ending

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: volta repeat with and without alternative ending
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:15:13 -0700 (MST)

Brian,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Brian Barker [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 10:13 24/06/2015 -0700, Abraham Noname wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Gergely Kontra [via Lilypond] wrote:
>>I am engraving an orchestral score, and ran into the following: one
>>staff has volta repeat with alternative ending, but the other staff
>>has no alternate ending. When I engrave the score for the
>>conductor, strange thing happens (one staff is shorter, that the
>>other) I also would like to engrave scores for violin and viola,
>>and those notes are in separate files. Viola part should not be
>>aware of the alternative block in violin IMHO. So, how should I
>>write this piece to be correct? (online version: http://lilybin.com/mpasgy/4)
>>
>>\version "2.18.2"
>>\language "deutsch"
>>
>>violin = \relative c'' {
>>     \repeat volta 2 { c4 d e f | }
>>     \alternative {
>>       { c2 e | }
>>       { f2 g | }
>>     }
>>     c1
>>}
>>
>>viola = \relative c' {
>>     \repeat volta 2 { c4 d e f |
>>     c2 c }
>>     c1
>>}
>>
>>\score {
>>   <<
>>     \new Staff \violin
>>     \new Staff { \clef alto \viola }
>>   >>
>>   \layout { }
>>}
>
>I believed I answered this already on the bugs list here:
>http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/repeat-volta-2-td178090.html#a178094

I don't think you did. You claim there that "looking at it by the raw
musical content, I see 4 bars for violin and only 3 for viola", but
you don't explain why you see that as a problem. You are counting
notation, not actual bars as played. Why does it matter that, say,
ten played bars might be expressed as only five bars repeated? And
your expansion of the parts there is incorrect: you have included the
first time bar the second time around for the violin, suggesting six
bars played in total, whereas there are actually only five.

I didn't mean to claim that I couldn't tell what the repeats infer for the content. I meant to only explain that LilyPond (without using \unfoldRepeats) sees the content exactly as the OP coded it: 4 bars in violin, 3 bars for viola. Thus, when engraved, there's a "missing" bar, when it would be perfectly obvious to the player what should be done.

>It got me thinking, though. Why don't you want the viola to have the
>same \repeat volta 2 { ... } \alternative { { ... } { ... } }
>structure, too? If you are making individual part scores, then
>you're going to need it, IMHO.

That's your dispute with the original questioner, who prefers the
viola players not to see what is going on in other parts. (I happen
to agree with you: that it is clearer if the identical first and
second time bars in the viola part are laid out in the same way as in
other parts. I *think* (she doesn't say this explicitly) that Elaine
Gould agrees.)

>If that's really not what you want, what should the viola be playing
>during the violin's 2nd ending?

Oh, that's easy and evident: exactly what is written. The last
(second) bar of the viola part's repeat coincides with the second
time bar in the violin part.

And that's just fine. But the OP is still going to need to reconcile how the music is printed for each score:

Conductor:
- Both parts repeat with a 1st and 2nd alternate ending

Violin part:
- Repeat with 1st and 2nd alternate ending

Viola part:
- Repeat with only 1st part

This can be accomplished pretty easily using a \tag in the viola part:

\version "2.18.2"
\language "deutsch"

violin = \relative c'' {
\repeat volta 2 { c4 d e f | }
\alternative {
 { c2 e | }
 { f2 g | }
}
c1
}

viola = \relative c' {
\repeat volta 2 { c4 d e f |
c2 c }
\tag #'conductor { c2 c }
c1
}

\markup "Conductor sees this"
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \violin
    \new Staff { \clef alto \keepWithTag #'conductor \viola }

  \layout { }
}

\markup "Violins see this"
\score {
  \new Staff \violin
  \layout { }
}

\markup "Violas see this"
\score {
  \new Staff { \clef alto \removeWithTag #'conductor \viola }
  \layout { }
}

BUT (and this is the issue with saying that the Conductor will call out the bar number) the bar numbers are still out of sync:

Inline image 1

So, I'll ask again, why not put the same \repeat structure in the viola section? I don't think it's silly at all to do that. On the other hand, you could just expand the \repeat in the viola part so there's no question, but I guess that's something that the OP will need to decide. The other thing you could do \set Score.BarNumber = #4 and add another \tag that only the viola sees at that point, but I really don't like that idea since that doesn't follow standard practice:

Inline image 2

HTH,
Abraham