Re: volta repeat with and without alternative ending

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: volta repeat with and without alternative ending
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:14:14 +0100

On 24/06/15 18:42, Paul Scott wrote:
>> Because in individual part score, it will look silly (alternative endings,
>> > but they are identical)

> Not silly at all.  It lets the violists know the structure.  What if the
> conductor says "Start at the 2nd ending?"  How will the violist(s) know
> where to start if they don't where the 2nd ending is?

But no alternative implies ALL parts are the same. Once you're away from
melody instruments, I would have thought identical repeats was a common
occurrence across pretty much al parts - who's never had a section of rests?

I'd agree with that other lister - different structures for different
parts causes no end of confusion - especially when all the conductor has
is the solo cornet part ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol