Re: transposable figured bass?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: transposable figured bass?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:10:42 +0200

Chris Yate <address@hidden> writes:

> On 29 June 2015 at 14:20, Stefan Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Dear community,
>> I run in a problem, when I transpose the below quoted figured bass from g
>> to f.
>> In this  special case the natural sign before the "5" in the 2nd chord
>> should be a flat sign. Is it possible to get a transposable version of this
>> figured bass?

[...]

>> Music = \transpose g f \Music
>> \markup{The same thing in f major:}
>> \score {
>>   <<
>>     \new Staff \Music
>>     \new FiguredBass{ \transpose g f { \global \fgbass } }
>>   >>
>> }
>>

> This is an interesting problem and I suspect it would need some coding
> (Scheme?).

This is not soluble with the current input: changing accidentals would
require the engravers in FiguredBass to actually know what the base
pitch of the figure is, but that base pitch is typeset in a different
context not associated in any programmatic manner with FiguredBass.

So instead of writing 5+, one would need to be able to write something
like b<5+> (with b being the base note of the figure).  And of course,
once one has all the information in a single \figuremode input anyway,
one would like to be able to engrave the baseline without having to
retype it (probably by having the engravers in Staff simply ignore any
figure information).

--
David Kastrup