Re: Height and vertical alignment of first system on first page

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Height and vertical alignment of first system on first page
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 17:47:17 +0200

<address@hidden>:
> Hi Ponders,
>
> I have a score with an odd number of systems. Each page has two systems
> (it's an eight-voiced Choirstaff), the first page gets one system (and
> the title-section) - fine.
>
> Lilypond stretches the first system vertically to make it fill the whole
> first page. I would like this system to have the height of the other
> systems in the score and to be placed in the (vertical) center of the
> first page. Can you tell me how to do that? I have tried to cheat
> lilypond by adding some \vspace in the \title of the \header - that
> reduces the stretch of the system, but still lets it stretch to the
> bottom of the page - I would like the system to be right in the middle
> of the first page.
>
> Your help is appreciated,
>
> Jonathan

You could overrule the spacing-engine for the first page following
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/explicit-staff-and-system-positioning

Needs manual work, ofcourse ...

\version "2.19.24"

m = \repeat unfold 3 { c''1 \break }

first-page-settings = {
  \overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
  #'((Y-offset . 45)
     (alignment-distances . (9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9)))
  s1
  \pageBreak
}

<<
  \new Staff << \first-page-settings \m >>
  \new Staff \m
  \new Staff \m
  \new Staff \m
  \new Staff \m
  \new Staff \m
  \new Staff \m
  \new Staff \m

Please always post a short, better minimal code-example ;)

HTH,
  Harm