Re: arabic tabs?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: arabic tabs?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:52:39 +0200

>>>Thank you very much for your Help with your code! Your code works fine,
>>> here is an example code:
>
> oud = \stringTuning < f a d' g' c'' f'' >
>

> % https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rast_%28maqam%29
>

> RastC = {
>
> \relative c'
>
> {
>
> c d eqf f g a bqf c |
>
> c d eqf f g a bqf c |
>
> }
>
> %\break
>
> }
>
> <<
>
> \new Staff <<
>
> % \clef "G_8"
>
> <>^"Rast on C"
>
> \RastC >>
>
> \new TabStaff <<
>
> \set TabStaff.stringTunings = #oud
>
> \tabFullNotation
>
> \RastC >>
>

> <<
> \new Staff <<
> % \clef "G_8"
>
> <>^"Rast on D"
>
> \transpose c d
> \RastC >>
> \new TabStaff <<
> \set TabStaff.stringTunings = #oud
> \tabFullNotation
> \transpose c d
> \RastC >>
>

> The mnemonic is great compared to makam.ly and arabic.ly. So I always give
> your solution preference ove the other both. Should become part of lilypond,
> 2.10.1 Common notation for non-Western music!
> the use goes far bejond only just oriental music notation! One might use it
> for music with extended quarter-tone music. What is bejond that ? How to
> notate sixth-tone?
>
> I can work with the turkish way of notation, but I would prefer the arabic
> notation of quarter tones. Is that possible to change in a somple way?

Glad to hear my coding works for you.
Though, I've no knowledge in microtonal music at all.
All I did was to let the TabStaff print positions like "1½" etc.
I've even no clue, whether the result is correct and would need you
and others for feedback about it.

But if you have a look into makam.ly you see how pitches and names are
defined. You could do similiar to create own names and pitches.
TabStaff _should_ then display them correctly, if not report it.
No idea about midi, though...