Re: Tuplet Bracket and \fermataMarkup

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tuplet Bracket and \fermataMarkup
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:29:57 +0200

jeremyvanb <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you.  These suggestions help a great deal.
>
> The piece is for alto sax. and electronics.  It is unmetered and the
> duration of many of the musical gestures are given in seconds.  The point of
> this "measure" is to tell the performer to rest for 25 seconds.  I want a
> bracket that spans the entire measure with the duration printed in the
> middle of the bracket.
>
> Is it possible to attach a bracket to a whole measure rest without having to
> use the hidden notes?  A solution like the one suggested in the "Text
> spanner text in the middle" thread may also do exactly what I need.
>
> Thank you again for all of the help.

Huh, tricky.  I think what would be likely closest in meaning is to
abuse the MultiMeasureRestNumber field for the duration.  If you need
some sort of bracket, it might make sense to just use an unlabelled text
spanner for that and give the MultiMeasureRestNumber additional
whiteout.

I don't really know whether this is easier to get to work but it seems
somewhat closer in spirit to what is actually happening with the music.
And that could mean it will be more robust under changing conditions
(like having the time stay centered on the multi measure rest).

Also, it would not have strange stuff in the Midi.

--
David Kastrup