Re: Can't find right hand fingering without string #'s

From: BB
Subject: Re: Can't find right hand fingering without string #'s
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 12:58:30 +0200

\version "2.18.0"
#(set-global-staff-size 25)

{
      \override TextScript.color = #red
     c4^p c4-p c-2 c-3 c-4
     c^\markup { \finger "2 - 3" }
}

I think I understand what you think to be wrong.
Obviously you are refrencing to version 2.10.33 stable branch of ilypond
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Fingering-instructions
I cannot find that chapter in subsequent manuals.

There are two systems to mark the fingering with guitar, one with an number, the other with characters p, i, etc.
Obviously newer versions of lilypond handle the characters simply as markup and not so special as in version 2.10. So the minus in front of a p ("-p") obviously will be handled as a _p and the p printed under the note. I do not know if that is an error or a mistake in developing to higer versions of lilypond. I cannot tell you if developers find that faulty and are willing to make a correction?

The simple way for the moment is to use a "^" instead of a "-". So the "markup" will be printed above the note.

Regards anyway