format-mark function for A, B, C, …, X, Y, Z, Aa, Bb, Cc, …

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: format-mark function for A, B, C, …, X, Y, Z, Aa, Bb, Cc, …
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:21:56 +0200

Hi list,

sometimes there are more than 25 or 26 rehearsal marks in a piece. LilyPond’s format-mark-(alphabet|letters) function and friends continue after X, Y, Z with AA, AB, AC, …

I have never seen this in printed scores. Instead all scores I’ve seen continue with doubled letters (the second lowercase): Aa, Bb, Cc. And once I’ve even seen … Yy, Zz, Aaa, Bbb, …

I made functions format-mark-(alphabet|letter)-var and boxed and circled variants which implement this behaviour (see attached patch). So now I would like to know:

Is there an interest in having this behaviour in LilyPond (maybe as a variant)? Or have you seen something similar (f. e. everything uppercase)? If so, how to name these functions? And would I have to post this to bug- or dev-list? They’re not perfect yet, for example I didn’t know how to use vector-map ;)

Or is this something for openlilylib instead of original LilyPond?

Malte