Re: Lining up notes in staves with different rhythms and time signatures

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Lining up notes in staves with different rhythms and time signatures
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:19:59 +0200

Am 21.08.2015 um 21:40 schrieb David Kastrup:
Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

Am 21.08.2015 um 20:45 schrieb Blöchl Bernhard:
Interesting! New rules for basics of music.

I think this is too bold an assumption. It may very well be that there
is one 3/4 measure here, and I would trust the original typeset here.

Not every time signature change is printed in every music. Even if you
see it as a “basic rule”. See for example the last one of
Rachmaninov’s Etudes-Tableaux. Rachmaninov knew what he did.

The point of music notation is that others also get to know what you do.

Ok, I could have been more precise: Rachmaninov knew that others would understand what he did. He just didn’t overcomplicate things.

I think he was aware that key signatures wouldn’t be necessary at this place to be unambiguous. The notation and the music is so clear and unmistakable that I didn’t even notice the time changes for a few days or even weeks. And when I noticed them I realised that it isn’t necessary to print them; in a worst-case scenario they would distract the player from the long musical line. Musical notation always can have a big influence on musical performance.