Re: MIDI instrument for oboe d'amore

From: Jacques Menu
Subject: Re: MIDI instrument for oboe d'amore
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 10:27:31 +0200

Le 1 mai 2019 à 10:01, David Kastrup <address@hidden> a écrit :

Jacques Menu <address@hidden> writes:

Unfortunately, \transposition can only be used when the notes are written in «
instrument » pitch, not concert pitch.

Says who?

The LPNR:

The pitch to use for \transposition should correspond to the real sound heard when a c' written on the staff is played by the transposing instrument. This pitch is entered in absolute mode, so an instrument that produces a real sound which is one tone higher than the printed music should use \transposition d'.  \transposition should only be used if the pitches are not being entered in concert pitch.

BTW, it could be better named as something like
\transposingInstrument, it seems.

Why?

Would be more explicit: transposition can be understood as the act of transposing, whereas \transpose exists too.

I started by writing the code to obtain the same score as the
manuscript shown below, where the first staff is written for a viola,
hence my notes are in concert pitch.

Then I added \transpose to have it printed for an oboe d'amore:

But then I can no longer proof it by ear without changing the MIDI
output too, which I don’t know how to do.

With \transposition .

I did various attempts at that, but was unsuccessful.

I’d prefer to keep the notes unchanged, in concert pitch, instead of
modifying them - hence my post.

How about a minimal example exhibiting the problem?

I extracted the first two measures so that the phenomenon is clear, sorry if that’s a bit long.

Comment the line :

          \transpose a c' % <<<<<<========= HERE

to hear the music as it I need it to sound.

JM

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.82"

Part_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \partial 2
  \key bes \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 3/2
  g'2 | % 1
  g1 g2 | % 2
}

Part_PTwo_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \partial 2
  \key bes \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 3/2
  \clef "bass"
  ees'2 | % 1
  d1 ees2 | % 2
}

Part_PThree_Staff_One_Voice_One = \relative {
  \partial 2
  \key bes \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 3/2
  \clef "bass"
  c'2 | % 1
  b!1 c2 | % 2
}

\score {
  <<

    \new StaffGroup <<

      \new Staff = "Part_POne_Staff_One"
      \with {
        instrumentName = "Hautbois d'amour"
      }
      <<
        \context Voice = "Part_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
          \transpose a c' % <<<<<<========= HERE
          \Part_POne_Staff_One_Voice_One

      \new Staff = "Part_PTwo_Staff_One"
      \with {
        instrumentName = "Basson 1"
      }
      <<
        \context Voice = "Part_PTwo_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
          \Part_PTwo_Staff_One_Voice_One

      \new Staff = "Part_PThree_Staff_One"
      \with {
        instrumentName = "Basson 2"
      }
      <<
        \context Voice = "Part_PThree_Staff_One_Voice_One" <<
          \Part_PThree_Staff_One_Voice_One

  \layout { }

  \midi {
    \tempo 2 = 90