Re: fixed vs relative

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: fixed vs relative
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 07:54:28 +0200

Am 10.05.19 um 02:46 schrieb David Wright:

You know that Frescobaldi can convert absolute to relative and vice
versa?

As can the   ly   standalone (derived from F~ possibly).

Sorry I don't understand.
ly, packaged as python3-ly in Debian, has a number of commands hived
off (I assume) from Fresco including: re-indent, reformat, translate
the language, transpose, abs2rel, rel2abs, simplify-accidentals, etc.

Originally ly was the module *inside* Frescobaldi handling all the stuff relating to the LilyPond input code. This includes functions like code formatting, musical changes, trying to keep track of where we are in the music etc.

At some point Wilbert decided to a) remove any dependencies on Qt (the application development framework used in Frescobaldi) from that code, b) factor it out into an external module and c) make a standalone script wrapping some of its functionality.

So a number of functions are available through that 'ly' command line script, and it's also possible to 'import ly' in Python programs. At some later point I also added an HTTP server wrapper so you could actually use 'ly' in a web application to submit your LilyPond code for processing in a website.

When Frescobaldi decided to completely move to Python 3, dropping all Python 2 compatibility efforts this was deliberately *not* applied to python-ly, so that is a plain Python 2/3 library that can be used from both Python versions, without any PyQt dependencies.

Just for some clarification.
Urs