Re: Font questions about absolute

From: Reggie
Subject: Re: Font questions about absolute
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 12:53:17 -0700 (MST)

Aaron Hill wrote
> On 2019-05-11 10:52 am, Reggie wrote:
>> Is there any easy way to quickly see or convert absolutely font to #3
>> or #5
>> and so on? In frescobaldi like a function() or something. Thank you for
>> any
>> help.
>
> Within \markup, you can use \abs-fontsize to get a specific size that
> will not scale based on the global staff size.  That does not require
> any conversion.
> I usually stick to relative font sizes and do not concern myself with the
> absolutes, since it is my eye that determines whether something is big
> enough or small enough, not a ruler.
>
> -- Aaron Hill

Aaron wow yes I understand the maths perfectly that's my area. Thank you
your answer is perfect. But as I understand the Gould engraving book and
other font "normal" standards, how does one handle font size then regardless
of staff size and paperr? For example, let's say a publshing house wants
"all tempo marks must be 14pt roman" or "all expressive font must be 12pt in
parts and 14pt in score"? If the size of your paper and staff size could
change depending on the size of ensemble, would you then still use absolute
font sizes to align with explicit needs for font rules? Or would you
personally eye ball font size and use relative and get it close enough to
absolute font size. I don't understand the best practice if you want to in
the end have a certain set point size for certain markings with variable
paper sizes.