Re: How do I change the size of lyric text?

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: How do I change the size of lyric text?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 18:51:41 +0100

Abraham,

That's fantastic. Thanks. I owe you a beer too.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Friday, May 17, 2019, 6:18:54 PM, Abraham Lee wrote:

Hey, Peter!

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 9:16 AM Peter Toye <
address@hidden> wrote:

I want to add lyrics to a cue staff, but can't see how to change the font size to match the rest of the staff. I've tried the followoing, but it doesn't change anything, whatever I set LyricText.font-size to. The text says it all...

\version "2.19.52"

\language "english"

\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    fontSize = #-3
    \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #(magstep -3)
    \override LyricText.font-size = #-6
  }
  {
   c''1
  }
  \addlyrics {
    Help!

The first thing to know is that you're setting the LyricText font size in a "Staff" context, which is why it's ignored since LyricText grobs don't live in the "Staff" context, but in the "Lyrics" context. So, you can fix this by moving that override to the score's \layout block like this:

\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    fontSize = #-3
    \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #(magstep -3)
  }
  {
    c''1
  }
  \addlyrics {
    Help!
  }
  \layout {
    \override Lyrics.LyricText.font-size = #-6

Personally, I'd strongly recommend *against* using \addlyrics for proper lyrics because it really is only designed for use in the most basic of situations and will cause lots of problems if you go beyond that. Just something to consider.

HTH,
Abraham