Re: explicit duration within \lyricsto

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: explicit duration within \lyricsto
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 14:38:51 -0800

On 2020-11-09 9:38 am, Yotam Medini יותם מדיני wrote:
Is there a way within a \lyricsto section
to 'temporary' override the voice alignment
and set syllables with explicit duration values ?

I do not know about mixing manual and automatic durations, but you can temporarily switch the associatedVoice so lyrics align to the rhythm of a different context:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

<< \new Staff <<
     \new Voice = primary { b'4 4 8 8 4 | 8 8 4 4 4 }
     \new NullVoice = secondary { b'4 4 2 | 4. 8 2 } >>
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto primary { \set stanza = "primary"
     a b c d e f g h i j }
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto secondary { \set stanza = "secondary"
     k l m n o p }
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto primary { \set stanza = "mixed"
     a \set associatedVoice = secondary b m n
     \unset associatedVoice o i j } >>
%%%%

Above I show using a NullVoice so the notes do not appear though you can still attach lyrics to them for timing.

NOTE: As documented in the Notation Reference, changing associatedVoice must occur one syllable early to have the desired effect.

-- Aaron Hill