Re: Note tails to be written both up and down

From: Leo Correia de Verdier
Subject: Re: Note tails to be written both up and down
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:14:23 +0100

Do you mean like this:
%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.20.0"
\new RhythmicStaff {
 << { 8 } \\  { 8 } >>
}
%%%%%%%%%%%

If so, to the program it is two eights in different voices, you can read more
about it here:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/learning/i_0027m-hearing-voices

If you want the whole part or a longer stretch to be written like that you
could just write it in a single variable and give the same to both voices.

If you’re writing two percussion instruments on the same staff you might want
to write them separately and combine them with \partcombine

HTH
/Leo