Re: Line spacing (leading) of verses in a hymn

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Re: Line spacing (leading) of verses in a hymn
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:11:10 -0800

Hello Aaron,

That did the trick, setting the minimum-distance. I haven't been using these settings, but clearly they interact. Will play around some more.

Many thanks,
mattfong

On 2020-11-27 2:56 pm, Matthew Fong wrote:
> Hello Aaron,
>
> Ah, I didn't dig deeply enough!
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#within_002dsystem-spacing-properties
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#spacing-of-non_002dstaff-lines
>
> Your example and the documentation are in perfect accord. And I played
> around with it. However, when I plug it into my LilyPond file, it
> *compresses* considerably (!) Please see attached picture. I put all my
> Lyrics settings into your example and it still works as expected.

That would be my mistake.  I forgot to also set minimum-distance so that
it does not compress.  My example works only because there is no
pressure to reduce spacing.

Use the same value for basic-distance and minimum-distance, and it
should work.

-- Aaron Hill