Re: Spacing between clef and first note without time signature

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Spacing between clef and first note without time signature
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 11:27:26 +0100

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 05:31, Jay Anderson <horndude77@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not a great title, but here's what I'm wanting to achieve:
>
> =====
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff { c''2 r }
>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \Staff
>       \omit TimeSignature
>     }
>   }
> }
> =====
>
> This looks mostly correct until I reduce the staff size and squeeze it horizontally:
>
> =====
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff { c''2 r }
>   \layout {
>     line-width = 15\mm
>     \context {
>       \Staff
>       \omit TimeSignature
>     }
>     #(layout-set-staff-size 14)
>   }
> }
> =====
>
> The space between the clef and the first note is not compressible (almost as if it's still leaving space for the time signature). Is there a way to squeeze this? I'm wanting this in a footnote and it needs to be reduced in size to look right. Thanks for the help.

Hi Jay,

The space between Clef and first-note is documented in the Internals References manual,
IR 3.1.26 Clef
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/internals/clef

You can modify the space-alist property for the first-note item. Either by changing the spacing-style to a stretchable (or semi-fixed) space or by reducing the value of minimum-fixed-space.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <x.scheuer@gmail.com>