Re: Repeats with bar-engraver removed

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Repeats with bar-engraver removed
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 13:23:21 -0500

    J> I need to be able to engrave repeats, but I fear that the bar-engraver,
    J> which I turned off for chant music, is responsible for engraving the
    J> repeats: when I turn it back on, then the repeats appear, but since the
    J> music is chant, it runs off the page.

It depends on how you turn off engraving the bars.  It looks like you
are doing something much more drastic than what I do.

What I do is make the barlines transparent and with 0 width:

\override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
\override Staff.BarLine #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)

and then when I want one to appear, I override the transparency:

seerepeat = {    \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f}

If there's a reason you really want to remove the bar line engraver
instead of just modifying what it does, you're going to need someone
else to explain how to put some of its actions back.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I value kindness to human beings first of all, and kindness to
animals. I don't respect the law; I have a total irreverence for
anything connected with society except that which makes the roads
safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and old men and women
warmer in the winter, and happier in the summer.

Brendan Behan (1923 - 1964)